Side Table Restoration

We salvaged some old side tables from the husband’s family home, and I took it upon myself to restore them as well. They’ve been placed alongside our bed for the past couple of years and, because of the dark brown finish, seem to disappear into the background. I’ve decided to paint them a shade of white again like this nursery dresser because white always looks good on a blue background. 🙂

Here are photos that I took during and after the side table restoration project:

Continue reading Side Table Restoration

Nursery Dresser Restoration

It’s my Dad’s birthday today, and his and Mom’s 56th wedding anniversary! I know he is looking down at my Mom and our family from heaven. 🙂

As for me, well we had moved to a new house with more space for me to pursue my restoration hobby. It has been raining pretty hard these days and I didn’t have much work to do so I decided to get started on the restoration of this old nursery dresser that we got from hubby’s sister before she left for Canada. She also gave us this piece that I restored last December.

I, unfortunately, forgot to take a photo of the cabinet before I worked on it, so it would be difficult to show you exactly how run-down it looked. The veneer was basically peeling off in several areas and I just had something to cover the top part. I took out the drawers and placed all the pieces over manila paper and pieces of plastic on the floor.

hammer and chisel
hammer and chisel

The first thing I did was strip the veneer off the body of the dresser. There really was no way to salvage the veneer and I did hesitate to peel it off at first because this is my first peeling job 🙂 but I did find some good resources online. Because the piece was already a bit rundown, I didn’t have a hard time taking off the veneer save for some areas where it was really glued on. I read some tips to use a flat iron and a cloth but my flat iron is way too precious for me to use it on this restoration job. I just took a flat chisel and hammered my way inch by inch until I had everything peeled off. I only worked on it for about 1-2 hours a day and it took around 4 days for me to finish the peeling.

Continue reading Nursery Dresser Restoration

ala-Shabby Chic

We were sorting out stuff we kept in the storage room one afternoon and I saw this sad-looking magazine rack tucked away in the corner, barely visible under the pile of rags draped over it. I instantly knew what to do with it and vowed to find the time.

I did find the time, and I had all of two days to make-over the rack. This is what it looked like.

diy-table1

It looked much worse than it does on the picture above because some of the parts were already broken off. I enlisted the help of the hubby and his carpentry skills put the thing back together. This was taken while I was assembling the parts back. Continue reading ala-Shabby Chic